This thread is about strcpy and the OpenBSD linker warnings.

> >> Note that it is theoretically possible to use these functions
> >> correctly;

It is theoretically possible to give a loaded gun to a baby; things
will probably work out fine.  Searching for news about such mishaps,
they are quite rare.  Still, they do occur, and I suspect the industry
has ``warning labels'' regarding leaving guns lying around.

strcpy-related security holes still occur these days, but I think they
have been reduced.  There has been a slight improvement; software is
being written with a little bit more care.  Fewer developers are
handing strcpy "guns" to their users.

I believe the OpenBSD ``warnings labels'' do play a small part in
improving the situation.  You don't need to reach all the grumpy
programmers who believe they have godlike powers to avoid making
overflow mistakes; if you reach some people, you get progress.

The linker warnings add to a greater meme of avoiding strcpy, and
strncpy as well.