Hi Lorenzo,

Lorenzo Beretta wrote on Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 04:11:17PM +0100:

> Funny thing is that according to
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.glibc.bugs/6277 the bug
> was reported in 2003, but neither stpcpy(3) nor the info pages seem
> to mention it --

Well, to be fair,

 - the linux-man stpcpy(3) clearly says "perhaps"
 - when Alastair Houghton posted to bug-glibc in 2003,
   he did not provide references to support his claims
 - he didn't say at which time stpcpy(3) appeared in Lattice C
 - and he didn't attempt to argue in any way why he thought
   that it didn't appear somewhere else, earlier.

So, all the glibc crowd could have done back then would have been
to either substitute unsubstantiated "perhaps" by unsubstatiated
hearsay, or go hunting for some facts themselves.  There is more
unsubstantiated hearsay to be found on the 'net, and conflicting
hearsay, for example here:

  http://marc.info/?l=freebsd-arch&m=94341707907908
    (what is said there was proven WRONG in my last mail,
     but Alastair Houghton did not prove it wrong in 2003)

Let's see what will happen now:

  http://marc.info/?l=linux-man&m=139320350105832

> one more reason to keep a copy of the openbsd
> manpages around all the time :)

Yes.  But be aware that

 - Many OpenBSD manuals still contain the original 4.3BSD-Net/2
   HISTORY sections.  Even though Cynthia Livingston (of USENIX)
   did a monumental job in converting the manuals from the man(7)
   to the new mdoc(7) format and added much useful information,
   she had limited access to historic information, so these
   old sections are still full of errors.  In particular, whenever
   you find "first appeared in 3BSD", you should be wary, unless
   there are recent OpenBSD commits to the HISTORY section in that
   page.  Quite some stuff marked as 3BSD may actually be older.

 - Many OpenBSD pages are still lacking HISTORY and in particular
   AUTHORS information completely.

 - In one specific respect, the wording is often ambiguous.
   While we now try to use "first appeared in" only for
   original inventions and rather say something like "has
   been available since" for stuff that came from elsewhere
   and was ported to or reimplemented for OpenBSD, for historical
   reasons, many pages still stay "first appeared in OpenBSD"
   even for stuff that was *not* invented by OpenBSD.

All this is still going to take a long time to get better,
and in the meantime, it's not always easy to see what has
already been fixed and what hasn't even been looked at, yet.

Yours,
  Ingo