On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 02:07:16PM +0100, Jan Stary wrote:
> This is an old 12" Powerbook G4 hw.model=7455 (Revision 0x303)
> with a freshly installed current/macppc. See full dmesg below.
>
> I can't switch consoles with ctrl+alt+Fx - is that expected?
> Or is there another way to do that on a Powerbook?
>
> Ethernet works (gem).
>
> Sound works: I can record a file with aucat -o file.wav
> and play i back with aucat -i file.wav.
>
> X doesn't work (NVIDIA GeForce4 440).
> I got the machine for peanuts so didn't bother checking
> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ppc&m=136178209416987&w=2
> Trying `startx' without any configuration segfaults like this:

I've got a battered 12" model which is suffering overheating issues.
I'm not sure I'll ever be able to recover it.[*]

However, a little more than 2 weeks ago I had a -current snapshot
running on it and X was working just fine (2D only) with the 'nv' driver.
I just ran xdm, no xorg.conf since autodetection worked, and I had
answered 'yes' to "do you expect to run the X window system?"
during installation (in case this matters).

Perhaps something changed in the meantime. But perhaps if you
try an older snapshot, or 5.4 if necessary, you'll have a bit
more luck with X?

Note also this bug which I could reproduce before the machine
went south: http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=138973455104950&w=2

[*] It still powers on occasionally. The few times the fan managed to
turn itself on it was noisy to the point of rendering the machine too
uncomfortable to use. So I don't really mind the loss. Finding a
replacement fan to attempt fixing the cooling problem is proving tricky.