On 3/20/14, Stefan Sperling <s...@openbsd.org> wrote:
[...]
> And, as goes without saying, if possible, please consider using a different
> protocol. PPTP's weaknesses have been well understood for a long time now.
> Much better alternatives are available in the base system and the ports
> tree.

The statement "much better alternatives are available" suggests
the user has a choice in picking these alternatives. This isn't the
case some of the time.

In my case, in the recent past, I was either to use PPTP or some
other proprietary solution in order to connect to my employer's
network. The proprietary solution would require lugging around
a Windows or Mac laptop, which made PPTP the "much better
alternative", allowing work in my preferred environment.

--patrick