On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 11:57:57AM -0700, patrick keshishian wrote:
> On 3/20/14, Stefan Sperling <s...@openbsd.org> wrote:
> [...]
> > And, as goes without saying, if possible, please consider using a different
> > protocol. PPTP's weaknesses have been well understood for a long time now.
> > Much better alternatives are available in the base system and the ports
> > tree.
>
> The statement "much better alternatives are available" suggests
> the user has a choice in picking these alternatives. This isn't the
> case some of the time.

Sure, that's why I said "if possible".

And where it's not easily possible, perhaps users can try to get
the other end to fix the problem. I don't mind putting pressure
on people to drop PPTP, and I don't even mind putting pressure
on people who will then need to put pressure on others to drop it.

pptp client users can stay with 5.4 or the (not even officially released
yet) 5.5 release for now, both of which ship net/pptp in a working state.
If you don't run -current you still have ptpp support until 5.7 comes
around and support for 5.5 is dropped. That gives pptp users (and
developers) time until May 2015.

And the plan seems to be that lack of pptp client support is temporary.
Who knows, perhaps npppd pptp client support will be added in time for 5.6.
In which case there won't even be a single release without PPTP client support.
Perhaps consider sending npppd developers a crate of beer if you care a
lot about this.

And if a pptp client doesn't ever come back I don't see how OpenBSD is
responsible for breaking setups that still rely on PPTP in this day and age.
In this case you'll have to run something else for PPTP. Sorry.