> The problem with that as I see it is that people will complain about
> not being able to donate to a specific subset of the project. As
> with OpenSSH in the past and probably present. The same way many
> complained before the foundation existed about paying Theo's power
> bill and humble salary. [...]

A correction is due here.

My salary is only a sub-set of the CD sales.  That is a result of the
bi-annual release engineering.

In years past, the CD revenue beyond my salary was used to fund
hackathons, network, and the electricity.  That decreased as time went
by.  Until there was little left.

Then the Foundation came along.

So, regarding your paragraph:  donations were not for my salary.