Em 11-04-2014 04:10, Sinosuke Noara escreveu:
> Thanks for the answers!
>
> Yes, it's a single physical machine running Debian (OpenBSD is not an
> option for my friends, and I don't know anything about virtualization in
> OpenBSD, just that there isn't a native support).
>
> Answering to Tomas:
> 1) This is the host (physical machine)
> http://www.hetzner.de/hosting/produkte_rootserver/ex40
> 2) I'm going to test it, but I wanted some advices about it's performance
> and if it will fit our our needs, so that way I won't loose any time
> setting it up.
> 3) As far as I know now, the more common type of traffic will be: HTTP/S,
> VPN, Owncloud and bittorrent sync, VoIP and XMPP.
> 4) We only have a single physical machine, and they 3 of them (we are 5)
> never used OpenBSD, and they are not exactly "excited" about using it.

>> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 1:35 AM, Sinosuke Noara <
>> capitan.shinc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> I've rented a virtual private server with some friends and we would like
>>> deploy a firewall. I suggested packet filter and OpenBSD because I have it
>>> at home, but really don't know about the performace of the OpenBSD packet
>>> filter into a virtual machine. The idea is to have some (6-9) different
>>> virtual machines running at the same time, 2 of then (apart from the
>>> firewall) will have a lot of incoming traffic and at least 1 will have a
>>> lot of outgoing network traffic, so my mates are thinking that PF into a
>>> virtual machine running OpenBSD is not going to have a good performance,
>>> maybe because (as far as I know) PF can't work using more than one core.
>>>
>>> Any of you have some experience about this? Could you give me some info
>>> about performance or some nice arguments to convince them?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> Excuse my english, but I don't practice it regularly.
>>>
>> 1) You don't mention which VPS are you planning to use
>> 2) PF can handle a lot of traffic just fine, but you must test in YOUR
>> scenario
>> 3) You don't mention expected amount of traffic and type of that traffic
>> 4) Why exactly are your friends against it? Maybe they don't know OpenBSD
>> well, maybe VPS doesn't support OpenBSD and so on
I have one virtualized PF firewall in my home and one in my company. In
both of them the bare metal is a ubuntu and I'm using KVM for
virtualization. I found that using the virtio interfaces in OpenBSD has
a great performance benefit. I doubt that your traffic will make you
firewall to fail, if you use PF. Your friends are probably against it
because they don't know it.

Cheers,

--
Giancarlo Razzolini