On Sun, 8 Jun 2014, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

On 2014-06-05, David Vasek <va...@fido.cz> wrote:

Did you try smartctl from smartmontools for a more detailed report?

I assume there is a 1000-page SMART spec somewhere that would come
in handy for interpreting the responses?

I'm not an expert. But I believe there are some reading this mailing list.

There is a description of the interface available, but I don't think it can help you to interpret the numbers.

ftp://ftp.t10.org/t13/docs2004/D1699-ATA8-ACS.pdf
http://www.hgst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/EF593BD721D5D2768825782D000B8111/$file/DS7K3000_US7K3000_SATA_OEMSpecRev1.3.pdf
(beware of the $ character in the url)

What I usually care about are attributes like Reallocated_Sector_Ct, Reallocated_Event_Count, Current_Pending_Sector, Offline_Uncorrectable, Spin_Retry_Count, UDMA_CRC_Error_Count. I monitor my drives in the long term and watch if any of these values rises. And of course, the SMART Error Log is important.

As for the other attributes such as Raw_Read_Error_Rate, Throughput_Performance and Seek_Error_Rate, every vendor seem to use it in a different way.

Btw, the model of Hitachi drive you have problems with is said to be one of the most reliable hard drives.

http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/
http://www.hgst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/EC6D440C3F64DBCC8825782300026498/$file/US7K3000_ds.pdf.
http://www.hgst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/products/Ultrastar_7K3000

smartctl -t short /dev/sd1c

Not supported, it seems.

It is surprising, all Hitachi hard drives I have support short test. If it isn't a secret, could I get the 'smartctl -a' output from your drive for comparison? Thanks.

Regards,
David