* ML mail <mlnos...@yahoo.com> [2014-06-19 09:22]:
> I have four /24 subnets and currently have one subnet per ethernet
> interface (1Gbit/s) on my openbsd firewall. Now I was wondering if in
> terms of performance (especially latency/pps) it is better to have one
> subnet per ethernet interface like I have now or to have the four
> subnets on one single interface using vlan interfaces?

in theory, having those 4 on vlans on the same hw if allows for more
effective interrupt mitigation, offset by the cost of inserting the
vlan header (in <= 5.5, made it essentially free after) and running
through vlan_start/vlan_input.

Should not make much of a difference in practice.

--
Henning Brauer, h...@bsws.de, henn...@openbsd.org
BS Web Services GmbH, http://bsws.de, Full-Service ISP