On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 16:50, Stefan Wollny wrote:
> Hi misc@-readers!
>
> I have once more read man afterboot(8) and a question came up related
> to the superuser's password.
>
> In section 'root password' advisory is given to "choose a password
> that has digits and special characters (not space)". This last advice
> is what I do not understand - all of my passwords have spaces,
> including root's, and I never noticed any drawbacks. Actually I
> consider spaces within a password to be a security feature making it a
> 'passphrase' which should be harder to crack (yes - it is as looong
> password for root ;-) )
>
> Now: Is this advice in afterboot(8) 'out-of-date' or am I just lucky?

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work. I might stay away from
control characters and unicode because you may have keyboard / byte
sequence translation issues, but space should be reliable enough.

The only place I can think spaces would be a problem is command line
arguments, which 1) affects other characters as well 2) is a bad idea.