On 2014-06-27, Giancarlo Razzolini <grazzol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps you should take a look at this funny and very accurate xkcd
> comic strip:
>
> http://xkcd.com/936/

"yes, cracking a stolen hash is faster, but it's not what the average user
should worry about"

I disagree, that is *exactly* what the average user should worry about.
And knowing that some people use xkcd style passwords, who would start on
a brute force attack before they've finished with a decent wordlist run?

> Passwords are all about entropy. Spaces, special characters, don't mean
> much for brute force attacks. If you take a look at the most new, state
> of the art password cracking tools, you'll find that they are very, very
> good at guessing passwords. I believe that using long phrases composed
> of random words as passwords is way more effective than these special,
> punctuation, spaces, passwords.

Using a long phrase is *much* worse than an equally long string of random
characters. But of course most people can't remember the latter. It's a trade
off.

> And remote attacks on your machine are unlikely.

/var/log/authlog on pretty much any machine with exposed ssh tells
a different story ...

(not that you really want people even getting as far as being able
to attempt passwords..)