> On 2014-06-26, Scott Vanderbilt <li...@datagenic.com> wrote:
> > Having done a little man page reading on boot-time configuration, I
> > learned about the existence of ukc. I'm wondering whether something like
> >
> >    ukc> disable acpi0
> >
> > might circumvent the kernel panic and allow the boot to successfully
> > complete. I'm hoping that since this is a server, ACPI is non-essential.
> > Just grasping at straws in an effort to get this machine up and running
> > again.
>
> I think you should consider ACPI essential on pretty much any x86
> machine from the last 4-5 years or so - servers, laptops, standard PCs.

Yes, ACPI is essential.  It is the modern way to interface to the hardware;
it is the modern BIOS API.

The other BIOS interfaces (MPBIOS and PCIBIOS) are totally unreliable and
rotting on most machines these days.   The vendors include support, but they
do not verify their correctness.

> In an emergency such as this you might get away with it briefly, but
> some devices are likely not to work, and it's not recommended leaving
> it like that for any length of time, ACPI is involved in a lot of
> system controls (thermal controls, power etc) and most modern machines
> are just not designed/tested to work without it.

Stuart is correct.  Those of you turning off ACPI are relying on an
interface model we have repeatedly described as broken.