Hey Sebastian and Patrik,

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the vagueness. Should have been
sleeping rather than upgrading/posting. By some minor miracle, a
reboot after sysmerge was done too :)

Started using unbound from ports on 5.4-stable last winter and once it
was working really haven't messed with the config since. It was
transferred to the -current config in ~ April with no issues. Forward
and reverse for both local and remote work fine.

The home LAN setup here is a humble /29 on IPv4: unbound listens on
the internal and loopback interfaces, forwarded to dnscrypt-proxy on
localhost, and then out to OpenDNS.

I do have snort (inline mode) running, so there is the expected temp
loss of remote connectivity until snort is running. Normally it works
itself out, but this is likely the point where this issue appears.

OpenBSD 5.6-beta (GENERIC) #245: Fri Jul 25 11:46:12 MDT 2014
If memory serves, also on the July 22 & 23 snapshots.

@Sebastian, I can send you my unbound.conf if that helps your
situation any. My server is a circa 1998 box that is starting to
develop some quirks :\

@Patrick - I see /etc/rc.d/unbound already has daemon_flags="-c
/var/unbound/unbound.conf". My rc.conf.local just has unbound_flags=

# dig yahoo.com returns a SERVFAIL
After a # kill -9 and starting unbound from /etc/rc things are fine.

I'll turn up logging/verbosity and poke around more if/when it happens
again. Will try to figure out ktrace and/or turn on debugging (-d) for
unbound. Have run into this once in a blue moon when the system has
been running for days/weeks.

Thanks and Regards, Z