* Andy <a...@brandwatch.com> [2014-08-05 18:06]:
> Correct me if I'm wrong here Henning, but we have always used the approach
> of only ever assigning queues to the physical interface (whether it has
> VLANs or not), as this means that both the physical interfaces untagged
> network, plus all the tagged networks on that interface get to share the
> queues.

correct.

> Having lots of physical internal interfaces with queues on each simply means
> you have to divide our total WAN download bandwidth across the interfaces as
> they cannot borrow from each other.

obviously, cross-interface borrowing doesn't work indeed :)

> But if you use VLANS and place the queues on the physical interface, if the
> public WIFI VLAN for example is not using any bandwidth, the internal LAN
> can use all the bandwidth until the public WIFI wants some.

yup

> Considering all this, there should never be a good reason to apply queues to
> the VLAN interfaces at all?

I can't see any. There's always an interface (or a stack of interfaces
even) with a queue underneath, so THAT is the point to do the queueing.

--
Henning Brauer, h...@bsws.de, henn...@openbsd.org
BS Web Services GmbH, http://bsws.de, Full-Service ISP