Hello,

I have already met something of that kind. Not exactly, but very close. A USB flash drive that changes its vendor and model on the fly. Both strings and IDs changed. Light intensity of the blinking LED also changed at the same time. Just plug and unplug. I think that in a similar way as some fish can change their sex, some USB devices can change their manufacturer during their life.

Originally it was:

umass1 at uhub0 port 4 configuration 1 interface 0 "Kingston DT Elite 3.0" rev
2.10/1.00 addr 3
umass1: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus4 at umass1: 2 targets, initiator 0
sd4 at scsibus4 targ 1 lun 0: <Kingston, DT Elite 3.0, 1.01> SCSI4 0/direct
removable serial.0951168cAC909000009F
sd4: 15008MB, 512 bytes/sector, 30736384 sectors

<unplug>, <plug in again two minutes later>

umass1 at uhub0 port 4 configuration 1 interface 0 "SKYMEDI USB Drive" rev
2.10/1.00 addr 2
umass1: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus4 at umass1: 2 targets, initiator 0
sd4 at scsibus4 targ 1 lun 0: <SKYMEDI, USB Drive, 1.00> SCSI4 0/direct
removable

<unplug again>, <plug in once more>

umass1 at uhub0 port 4 configuration 1 interface 0 " " rev 2.10/1.00 addr 3
umass1: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus4 at umass1: 2 targets, initiator 0
sd4 at scsibus4 targ 1 lun 0: <, , 1.00> SCSI4 0/direct removable
sd4: 15008MB, 512 bytes/sector, 30736384 sectors

It stays with that blank vendor so far, only ocassionaly it reports itself as SKYMEDI. I never saw Kingston again. The stored data remained untouched, at least I didn't encounter any problem.

I think it is more likely a buggy firmware from Kingston (or from Skymedi, who apparently is the real OEM manufacturer of the controller) rather than a failing hardware.

Regards,
David