On 2014-09-12, Martijn van Duren <martijn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello misc@,
>
> In just under two month I'll be moving from my old room (with service
> costs included) to a new apartment (where I'll have to pay the
> electricity bill myself).
>
> Currently I have an old desktop PC running as a home server/media
> center, which runs OpenBSD. Most of the time it's idling, but does run
> (open)ssh/(open)smtp/imap(dovecot)/http(nginx/apache
> +subversion)/minidnla, which I want to keep available.
>
> Because this PC requires more power then should necessary for its
> purpose I would like to acquire something like a pandaboard, which is
> low power, and has at least 2 sata ports, 1 network port and if possible
> supported audio for network playback.
>
> Is there any board/device known which can support these requirements and
> is fully (within the requirements) supported by OpenBSD?

Personally I'd go for a modern cheap PC based on a soldered-on Atom, Celeron
or AMD Fusion type system. Maybe SSD for system and frequently-accessed data,
and a 3.5" SATA drive for media, probably set to spin down when not needed
(look at some "atactl sd0 apmset ##" values). There are some really cheap
small motherboards and cases these days with totally adequate CPU for these
requirements, and low power.

Some people suggested a PCEngines APU for this. I wouldn't, not for something
that will store much in the way of media - you'd need either a custom chassis
or an external USB drive (with possible speed/reliability/cooling issues - on
OpenBSD I'd use a USB drive for occasional backups or data transfer purposes
but not to have online all the time).