On 09/18/14 12:27, ML mail wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to install OpenBSD 5.5 (amd64) to use as a firewall on a
SATA flash drive of 8 GB. Unfortuantely the drive does not get
detected by OpenBSD at the installation so I am unable to install
OpenBSD.

The relevant output of the dmesg would be the following:

If you know what the "relevant" output is, you could probably
fix the problem.
don't snip your dmesg.
But ... sounds like sucky hw.

I'd start by swapping out the SATA cables (I think I've had some issues
with that). Try a real SATA disk. If the real disk works, your flash drive or its adapter is bad (or ahci-uncooperative)

If it seems OpenBSD just doesn't work with that SATA port (with a real disk), try -current and see if that works better. If not, post a full dmesg so we can figure out what we are dealing with.

To get running today, I'd see if you can degrade the port to non-AHCI mode -- it will be slower, but for a firewall? Who cares. Won't notice with most flash devices anyway. Or use a USB flash drive instead of a SATA.

Nick.