On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 04:51:49PM +0100, Leo Baltus wrote:
> Helllo,
>
> I am trying to figure out why my system (3.7) comes up in single user
> mode, so I am working my way through the man pages.

Well, look at /etc/boot.conf first, I'd say.

> man init:
>
>   The init program is the last stage of the boot process.  It
>   normally runs the automatic reboot sequence as described in
>   reboot(8), and if this succeeds, begins multi-user operation.
>   If the reboot scripts fail, init commences single-user operation
>   by giving the superuser a shell on the console.
>
> Could somebody explain to me why init is calling reboot and how reboot
> can succeed without actually rebooting the system?

Sounds like it means the boot scripts, which are of course re-boot
scripts (since it's not the first boot) but not the scrips run when you
type reboot. How that wording got in there, someone more knowledgeable
will have to tell you.

That being said, it tells you that the other case is your boots scripts
failing with some error code. Look at the output of your boot closely as
a second thing.

If neither works, compare etc37.tgz with the on-disk stuff. If *that*
fails, post back...

                Joachim