Today Joachim Schipper contributed the following:

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 11:36:35AM -0600, Denny White wrote:

Today Otto Moerbeek contributed the following:
On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Denny White wrote:
When I'd drag & drop files to copy from a windows xp box
to an nfs share on the obsd box, the obsd system would
reboot. I thought at first that it was either something
conflicting from the xp box, or that I had a hardware
problem on the obsd box. That had happened once with a
bad simm, but I had replaced it & had had no further
problems until now. Before running a time consuming
memory test on the obsd box, I did some reading on obsd
tunables, and am now able to copy a file over from the
xp box without the system rebooting. Below is a list of
the changes:

net.inet.tcp.keepinittime=600
net.inet.tcp.keepidle=28800
net.inet.tcp.keepintvl=600
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=65536 net.inet.tcp.sendspace=32768
net.inet.udp.recvspace=83200 net.bpf.bufsize=65536 vfs.nfs.iothreads=4

What type of nfs mount are you using? v2 or v3; udp or tcp?

Any info on the console the moment the machine reboots? What is the
value of tyhe ddb.panic sysctl? Anything in the logs?

        -Otto

Looks like v3, tcp. there was nothing on the screen when the
box rebooted. Just goes blank & reboots. Looked through the
logs & couldn't find anything, either. Running sysctl -a | grep ddb.panic
returns `ddb.panic=1'. I'm a relative newbie, so I could be completely
offbase, but this doesn't look good. Looks like maybe it could be a
hardware problem. Maybe the settings I upped could are just taking some
of the strain off the system. I read in the obsd faqs, concerning nfs,
that nfs filesystems should be mounted with 0 0 on the end of the line
in /etc/fstab so the computer doesn't try to fsck the nfs filesystem on
boot. Here's what my /etc/fstab looks like & /etc/exports:

/dev/wd0a / ffs rw 1 1
/dev/wd0h /data ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
/dev/wd0f /home ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
/dev/wd0g /tmp ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
/dev/wd0e /usr ffs rw,nodev 1 2
/dev/wd0d /var ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
/dev/wd1c /mnt ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
/dev/cd0c /mnt/cdrom cd9660 ro,nodev,nosuid,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0a /mnt/floppy msdos ro,nodev,nosuid,noauto 0 0
/mnt/data2/swap /mnt/data2/swap swap sw 0 0

I am not certain your swap file is configured correctly - I'm not
certain, I've never used it, but every swap I've ever seen had a mount
point of 'none'. Then again, the mount point was simply not used at all
on Linux - I've never toyed with it on OpenBSD.

Additionally, you shouldn't mount any 'c' partitions, such as /dev/wd1c,
unless you are *very*, *very* sure what you are doing. In which case you
probably don't want to. ;-)

I don't think either of this will help much, though.

                Joachim

I thought it was configured right, but maybe not, afterall.
Maybe I didn't understand how to add a 2nd disk properly
when I put in an extra hd for storage space. I dangerously
dedicated, I think it's called, the entire drive. I didn't
see any need to divide it up, at the time. Did the same thing
on a fbsd box (but it's scsi, not ide) & not having problems
there. I can remotely mount the shares from the xp box & copy
really large files to the fbsd box without any problems. Have
copied files as large as iso's there without complaint from
that system. As for mounting /dev/wd1c, I didn't see any other
way to mount it, nor would the system let me do it any other
way. So, if you or anyone else sees a mistake there, in the
way I've mounted it, please advise. When I get home from work
tonight, I'm going to use swapctl to stop using the extra file
swap I created on the 2nd disk, hash it out in fstab, & see if
that helps with the file copying problem. If that works, I might try doing, what the obsd faq calls, a more permanent swap to that
disc using a vnode device (www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14#SwapFile)
instead of a file swap. Thanks for the reply & advice.
Denny White

GnuPG key  : 0x1644E79A  |  http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
Fingerprint: D0A9 AD44 1F10 E09E 0E67  EC25 CB44 F2E5 1644 E79A
iD8DBQFDmbP1y0Ty5RZE55oRAjqLAJ0RVwBaW4dMI528shk/jDNCmtF+MQCgrea5
uFTQnup2NuGllEHbtfb5fy0=
=bMGL
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----