On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 05:17:41PM +0530, arnuld wrote:
> hello everone,
>
>                         1st of all i am a newbie to UNIX, i have been using
> FedoraCore3 since May2005, that is when i completely abondoned proprietary
> softwares).  so i have some experience of installing, configuring & doing
> some system-administartion on GNU/LINUX. I am a home user who has started
> learning programming and went into hacker culture and found "rms" & "esr"
> there holding "GNU Manifesto" & "The Loginataka"
>
> I have only 3 QUESTIONS:   i tried FAQ but not fully satisfied:
>
> 1.)  Does OpenBSD-3.8 has any good X-window system? (examples inlclude
> GNOME, KDE)

You seem to confuse some things here. The "X-window-system" (if that
term exists) consist of a server and clients. OpenBSD has Xorg as
server, like almost all modern Linux distributions.
Now to your KDE and GNOME - these are window managers (clients) that
connect to the server. These programs draw the window decoration around
you applications, set your background wallpaper and do 13 billion other
things.
Short answer: Yes you can use KDE and GNOME with OpenBSD. They are
available as easy to install packages...

> 2.)  Will OpenBSD support my architecture? i know it supports AMD64 but i am
> asking for Motherboard & Monitor as
>      FreeBSD5.4 have some  problem regarding configuring & running X-window
> (Xorg, GNOME & KDE) on my system. BUT
>      FedoraCore runs wihtout any problem on  it.
>
> I have the following architecture:
>
>                  i.)      AMD64 -> processor
>                  ii.)     ASUS K8V-MX -> motherboard
>                  iii.)    LG 17'' Studioworks 775N -> monitor
>                          HorizSyns = 30-70 kHz
>                          Vertsync  = 50-160 Hz
>                          Resolution Max. = 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz

It should work, however the best way test is to download a floppy or cd
image from the OpenBSD server and boot from it. Then you know it for
sure. If there are errors you can ask for help with that specific
problem.

> 3.) Is "Absolute OpenSD by Michael Lucas" is godd for using installation and
> running & trroubleshooting X-window ?
>      I read whole reviews @amazon.com and found it can be good for me.  I am
> still asking because i want to be sure
>     before i spent money as a jobless person.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> "arnuld"

I have never read it, but it looks like a very good one. However books
about computer topics have one big problem. They are outdated faster
than you can buy them...

Tobias