I'm sorry for creating some confusion. My original email was about the
MacbookAir5,1 external USB ports not working on 5.6-release, when they
worked fine under 5.5-stable, so the subject is descriptive, at least as
the discussion started.

Subsequently I emailed to say that I have also tried a snapshot and
found the USB ports work using the snapshot, but unreliably. *That* is
why I mentioned the 2014-11-14 snapshot--to explain which snapshot I was
encountering some problems. The problems with the snapshot are different
than the problems with 5.6--on 5.6 the USB ports don't seem to function
at all, whereas under the 2014-11-14 they work, but not reliably.

Excerpts from Theo de Raadt's message of 2014-11-19 14:38:31 -0800: