On 19/11/14(Wed) 11:39, Scott Bonds wrote:
> > I don't know what you mean by "unreliable" nor which snapshot you
> > tried, that sad for me, 'cause I cannot learn from your experience :/
>
> Sorry about that Martin, I'll try to be more helpful by providing more
> details. The snapshot I tried and found to be unreliable was amd64
> bsd.mp 2014-11-14.
>
> By unreliable I mean this: I plugged in my axe network adapter, which is
> 100% rock solid under 5.5. Under -current@20141114 after a few minutes
> of use, the axe0 stops working. I try to ping a known good host and it
> drops all the packets. Running 'ifconfig axe0 down' then 'ifconfig axe0 up
> && dhclient axe0' restores functionality for a few minutes, then it goes
> down again. Same behavior with a urtwn. When booting off of a USB2
> thumbdrive everything works for 5 minutes or so, but at some point the
> light on the drive stops flashing and any command I type in never
> returns. I can keep typing (so the internal EHCI controller seems ok)
> but nothing happens besides what I type showing up on the screen. I can
> reproduce this misbehavior on both the 20141114 and the 20141118 snaps.

Thanks for the information.

> > Well you still have an ehci(4) controller on your machine, how does it
> > work on -current?
>
> I believe my MacbookAir5,1 has a number of *internal* EHCI ports for
> stuff like the keyboard to connect to, plus 2 *external* XHCI ports for
> me to plug peripherals into.
>
> The internal EHCI ports seem to work fine on -current. The external
> ports show up as XHCI ports on -current and exhibit the problems I
> described above.
>
> To hazard a guess on why my ports worked in 5.5 and earlier as EHCI
> ports, do not work at all in 5.6, and show up as XHCI ports in -current:
> the BIOS is capable of falling back to EHCI if the OS doesn't ask for
> XHCI ports. 5.5 and earlier only asked for EHCI ports, so that's what
> the BIOS provided. 5.6 asks for XHCI ports, the BIOS provides them
> instead of emulating EHCI ports, but 5.6 doesn't actually support XHCI
> ports yet, so they are unusable in 5.6. -current adds support of XHCI
> ports, and asks the BIOS for XHCI ports, so things are working again, at
> least at a basic level.
>
> If my guess is somewhat right, a fix or workaround for 5.6 might be to
> somehow return to the old behavior of pretending the OS knows nothing of
> XHCI and ask the BIOS to provide EHCI ports at boot.

I don't know how it works in Apple machines but other people reported
such weird thing with machine having an xhci(4)/ehci(4) controller.
Telling the BIOS to "deactivate" USB 3 support made their ports work
again with ehci(4), do you have a way to do that on your MacbookAir5,1?

> > Be it on -current or 5.6, could you post the output of "usbdevs -dv"
> > or even better "lsusb -v" (from the usbutils package) with your
> > devices attached but not recognized?
>
> Yes. Here are the usbdev, usbdev -dv, lsusb, and lsusb -v outputs for
> this machine with a urtwn plugged into the external USB port on the left
> side, for both 5.5-stable-i386 and -current@20141118-amd64. Note: for
> current I booted off of a USB thumbdrive, so you'll see that too on
> those outputs.

Thanks for this info.