It shouldn't be an issue with clients IIRC, as they only maintain a few
circuits.

I just ran 'sudo lsof | wc -l' on a Linux guard relay that moves a
little less than 1 MB/s (not much traffic), and it returned >12,500. If
anyone else reading this has an active Tor relay running OpenBSD with
unaltered file limits, I'd appreciate it if you could run the same
command and let us know what you get. Running 'sudo lsof -u _tor | wc
-l' would also be useful, as it would help discern whether the process
hit the file limit set by /etc/login.conf.