-----Alkuperäinen viesti-----
Lähettäjä: Tuomas Tonteri
Lähetetty: 22. marraskuutata 2014 15:43
Vastaanottaja: misc@openbsd.org
Aihe: useradd refusing encrypt output with 5.6

Hello list,

Running out of imagination here with 5.6 stable, useradd is not accepting
encrypt -b 8 output for the encrypted password. Same works on 5.3. Why, any
ideas?

# uname -a
OpenBSD host 5.3 GENERIC#53 amd64
# PASS=$(echo Testing123 | encrypt -b 8)
# echo $PASS
$2a$08$ZfDcVFG2OiL.KT.MRstLVuBwPbIyl9qfw6e7Qdkl8dAeQomYKL8Me
# useradd -p $PASS -m testtest
# userdel testtest
#

# uname -a
OpenBSD host 5.6 GENERIC#310 amd64
# PASS=$(echo Testing123 | encrypt -b 8)
# echo $PASS
$2b$08$VqyC1rcbQZJh2VmmLN4wt.BGKn/Jvb97jWj4EhUnKlzQe55lgReBq
# useradd -p $PASS -m testtest
useradd: Password
`$2b$08$VqyC1rcbQZJh2VmmLN4wt.BGKn/Jvb97jWj4EhUnKlzQe55lgReBq' is invalid:
setting it to `*************'
# userdel testtest
#

I have tried all sorts of quote combination as well as running this from
scripts and from the shell prompt. Always the same outcome.

Br,
Tuomas.