On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 17:38:46 +0100
Antoine Jacoutot <ajacou...@bsdfrog.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 09:23:41AM -0700, Duncan Patton a Campbell wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 11:15:26 +0100
> > Antoine Jacoutot <ajacou...@bsdfrog.org> wrote:

> > > I don't see how bash ended up in the process...
> > > Foomatic was patched to use ksh. You sure you don't have an old foomatic
> > > configuration around?
> > > I just spotted a misused of bash in cups-filters actually, but it's for
> > > the textonly filter, so that does not concern that particular issue.
> >
> > bash has _been_ on the system before, so it must be going out
> > and finding some dead config.  I've been doing installs not
> > upgrades on the system and then hooking up the user disks
> > after the fact.
> >
> > Looking in the most recent foomatic code I find statements like
> >
> > 2003-12-21  Till Kamppeter <till.kamppe...@gmx.net>
> >
> >         * Makefile.in: Fixed compatibility for non-bash systems: Used
> >           "VAR=VALUE; export VAR" instead of "export VAR=VALUE" (Thanks
> >           to Florian Diesch <die...@spamfence.net>).
> >
> > 2006-10-03  Till Kamppeter <till.kamppe...@gmail.com>
> >
> >         * foomatic-rip.in: Fixed bashism.
> >
> > but also
> >
> > Unfortunately, this technique does not work for `CONFIG_SHELL' due to
> > an Autoconf bug.  Until the bug is fixed you can use this workaround:
> >
> >      CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash /bin/bash ./configure CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash
>
> Yeah but that has nothing to do with why your foomatic is trying to invoke
> /bin/bash.
> You are mixing apples and oranges here.

I only used that to point out that there's "bashisms" thruout the codebase...
but I'd guess that somewhere Fruitco is conflating apples and oranges into
the round_fruit set (as distinct from long_fruit like bananas and pine cones).

If I build foomatic from net sources I get

# ./foomatic-rip -v
foomatic rip version 4.0.12.246
"man foomatic-rip" for help.
#

# pkg_info| grep foom
foomatic-db-4.0.20131218 Foomatic PPD data
foomatic-db-engine-4.0.11 Foomatic PPD generator

but that's NOT what the package installs:

# foomatic-rip -v
foomatic-rip of cups-filters version 1.0.54
"man foomatic-rip" for help.

This is the version in the /tmp/foomatic*.log files.
I just removed the /bin/bash -> sh link and got the
same log file:

foomatic-rip version 1.0.54 running...
Error: Executing "/bin/bash

So cups is installing old filtre code imported from
foo-1.0.54 but the foo-packages think they're at 4.0.?

Something is funky here, and it goes further than my
machine.

Dhu

--
Ne obliviscaris, vix ea nostra voco.