I'm considering setting up a wifi access point using a PC Engines
ALIX board (500 MHz AMD Geode LX800 CPU, 256 MB RAM).  One way of
providing the wifi is via a radio card (e.g., the PC Engines DNMA92)
in the ALIX box.  This uses the Atheros AR9220 chipset, which has
good OpenBSD support -- including 802.11a/b/g WPA2-PSK support
(though not 802.11n) -- via athn(4).

However, 'man athn' says
> The athn driver relies on the software 802.11 stack for both
> encryption and decryption of data frames.

Should I be worried about the CPU loading of software WPA2 crypto
running on the (relatively slow) ALIX Geode processor?  That is, is
the software crypto likely to limit the available wifi data rate?

ciao,

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]"
<jth...@astro.indiana-zebra.edu>