In <http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=141928659802658&w=1> I asked
> Should I be worried about the CPU loading of software WPA2 crypto
> running on the (relatively slow) ALIX Geode processor?  That is, is
> the software crypto likely to limit the available wifi data rate?

In <ttp://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=141934666116217&w=1> you replied
> I think the concern is warranted and yes, I expect this to be a
> bottleneck.
>
> I have no experience with that configuration, but I had a broadly
> comparable setup where a Soekris net5501 (same CPU as the ALIX) did
> IPsec for a .11g network.  With AES-128-CBC + HMAC-SHA1, the box
> seemed to be able to saturate the wireless link, but it was mostly
> busy, and it profited from the CPU's glxsb(4) hardware acceleration
> for AES-128-CBC.  With any other mode of encryption, e.g. AES-128-CTR,
> there just wasn't enough CPU.

What was the bandwidth of that network?

In my application there's no significant data traffic between different
machines on the wifi network, i.e., all data is between wifi machines
and the outside world.  The link-to-the-outside-world offers at most
16 MBit/second, so I don't need to worry about making the wifi faster
than that.

thanks, ciao,

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]"
<jth...@astro.indiana-zebra.edu>