Thanks for all the ideas. It's given me avenues for testing.

On 1/2/2015 5:32 PM, Craig Skinner wrote:
On 2015-01-02 Fri 14:02 PM |, Christopher Barry wrote:
I can't speak to ksh being 'better', but it may well be.
Aye, not subject to bash's many security problems, such as #ShellShock &
#BashBug that brought loonix to it's knees a couple of months ago.

Who wants to be patching boxes at work at weekends when there's more
important fun to be had;-
Edinburgh FolkSoc Ceilidh Band: Military Two-Step
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNVLDOwxVx4&feature=related

I have 20 years experience with bash, so I default to it.

Cool Christopher. The smart men on @tech keep ksh slick, so for
scripters there's not much difference. Have a go.

If I was going to craft something today to solve this problem,
I think I would probably use rsync over shh though, and not scp.

Like ksh, rdist is in base, (unlike either bash or rsync),
and uses ssh by default.

A root cronjob like this might be all that is needed:
@hourly                 rdist -f /root/rdist.yp

Then it's off to a castle for more flinging of fit Scottish lassies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBCayM6aFJQ&feature=related