On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 10:05:55AM +0000, John Long wrote:

> One of my little friends has a dead drive. Unfortunately it is shoehorned in
> there pretty good. Has anybody on the list replaced the disk drive on one of
> these and if so would you explain how you did it?

Yes, I have done that several times to replace the slow standard disk
with an SSD.

Unscrew the four screws on the side VGA connector side. Slide the
logic board out. Unscrew the three black screws that hold the disk
bracket. The screws are unmarked but they are near R164, C174 and U32.
You can then slide the disk and bracket out of the connector. Replace
the disk in the bracket and reverse the steps.

> Is anybody using a regular USB stick as a primary disk drive for OpenBSD and
> if so how well do they work and how long do they last? Is this a reasonable
> solution for an appliance or dev box and are there better alternatives that
> will work over USB or the network? Specifically this box can boot and run
> from USB but I don't know if it can run diskless or how well it would run.

I would not recommend that. USB sticks are slow and unrelaible.

        -Otto