I recently tried, for fun, or because I wasn't thinking, I'm not sure
which, doing a cvs -up in /usr/ports. It told me "P" or "U" for
archivers/cabextract, net/isc-bind, and www/drupal6/views, none of
which should be installed on my system. (I don't remember which was P
and which U.) Since they are not supposed to be installed, I did not
run make in any of their directories in /usr/ports.

I tried to use pkg_info and pkg_add -n to figure out if they were
installed after all, and pkg_add started hanging, and then pkg_info
started hanging.

I then tried using pkg_check to see if I could clear whatever I had
done, and it tells me about unknown directories and files, a long list
of files and directories which should have nothing to do with
packages, I think, including such things as /boot, /bsd, about 30
files in /etc, the pkg_check_out.text I produced in my /root directory
to try to understand the output and a bunch of other stuff. It does
not output my entire file system tree.

After using pkg_check several times, pkg_add and pkg_info are no
longer hanging. And pkg_add -u seems to do what it is supposed to do.

Marc or anyone care to enlighten me on what the output from pkg_check
is supposed to mean? (I'm thinking it may have something to do with
mtree, but I'm not remembering what to look at for that.)

Joel Rees