On 04-03-2015 20:30, Paolo Aglialoro wrote:

> Using netcat or ftp to browse the web/intranet/localhost in the 3rd
> millennium is like eating a steak with a spoon.

But it's so fun man! If people looked under the hood more often, we
wouldn't had the bug nightmare that was these past years. Heartbleed,
ghost, shellshock, etc.

Konsole output
~# nc -vvv www.openbsd.org 80
Connection to www.openbsd.org 80 port [tcp/www] succeeded!
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: www.openbsd.org

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 13:28:54 GMT
Server: Apache
Last-Modified: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 17:29:26 GMT
ETag: "84c3c06e225fcffbdd723847e25fa29b1586fbe2"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

> It's the same logic of leaving open root ssh access with pw=password:
> nothing can stop a stupid misuse of things. But this is not a good reason
> to delete ssh.

lynx removal does not compare to this. It was removed based solely on
technical merits. That, and the fact that no OpenBSD dev would spare
time to fix it.

> And, just for the records, I bet that 99% of use of lynx is just sysadmin
> stuff on CLI systems, for the rest (the dangerous horrid scary world...)
> there are X clients with Firefox. Who's going to warez sites with lynx? Of
> course we're all a pkg_add away, but that is not the point.

I didn't got your point.

> Security is a damn good thing.
> Excesses not.

Then you're on the wrong Operating System. OpenBSD is secure by default.
If lynx had the tiniest chance of compromising your system, then I'm
glad it's gone.

Cheers,
Giancarlo Razzolini