On 05-03-2015 13:20, Paolo Aglialoro wrote:
> I perfectly agree with you, both on fun and curiosity.
>
> Nevertheless, not all the times we have got time enough "to have fun
> netcatting servers". More than often u just have to go straight to the
> point.

But before you can get to the point, someone (hopefully) looked under
the hood for you.

>  Btw, try these with (net)cat:
>
> $ lynx saveddocument.html
> $ pdftohtml -stdout -i manual.pdf | lynx -stdin

As I mentioned, "for the task the OP mentioned". Of course netcat does
not replace a browser.

> Actually it does on a user viewpoint: a server daemon is up 24/7 while a
> client is activated by the user. For the server, insecurity comes mainly
> from its own flaws, for the client danger does not mainly come from the
> tool itself (unless it's a totally hopeless sw) but from the *potentially*
> silly utilization which is done by the user.

You forget that programs bring along libraries and other potentially
nasty stuff when ran. lynx had support for a lot of protocols besides
http. Take a look at the tech@ thread from last year that prompted it's
removal.

> So it looks like that, till some months ago, everybody here was on the
> wrong OS and risking their lives, as lynx was in base! But I have never
> read here about anybody who had his system compromised because of poor
> lynx. So, right now, this deletion reflects more a "what if" worry than a
> real threat, i.e. lynx <> shellshock.

Many of OpenBSD security features are based on " what if". That does not
mean that in the future, the "what if", can't become a real threat. The
mentality of the OpenBSD devs is in the right place. They try hard to
make a OS that try to don't allow you to shoot yourself in the face.
Even if that means removing software that might (or not) pose a threat
to you in any point in the future.

Cheers,
Giancarlo Razzolini