On Sun, Mar 08, 2015 at 01:57:05AM +0100, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Since I seem to be the only person using this feature (with the
> possible exception of ratchov@ himself), here's a periodic reminder
> that you can use sndio OVER THE NETWORK.
>
> Optical drives are kind of pass?, but I still keep a working USB
> one around.  I hooked it up to a convenient machine--an old sparc64
> with USB1.1, as it happens--slotted in an audio CD, then took my
> laptop and went into a different room.
>
> On the laptop I restarted sndiod with -L-, then ssh'ed to the machine
> with the CD and ran
>
> $ AUDIODEVICE=snd@laptop/0 cdio cdplay
>
> ... and that's it.  Music in my laptop headphones.
>
> Because we can.
>
> Sndio doesn't have any built-in authentication.  You can use ssh's
> port forwarding if you don't want to run it over the naked network.
> In my case, IPsec over the WPA2-secured wireless seemed enough.
>
> --
> Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de

This is cool, it seems ratchov@ included this feature in his Linux
port..

http://www.sndio.org/install.html

Something horrible like this lets me listen to music on a Linux
laptop (headphones), streamed from my OpenBSD desktop with no
speakers:

# ip6tables -A INPUT -p tcp -s fe80::/64 --dport 11025 -m state \
--state NEW -j ACCEPT
$ D_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./sndiod -L fe80::blah%wlan0

Because.. we.. can? :-)

-Bryan.