On Sun, Mar 08, 2015 at 11:22:17AM +0100, Alexandre Ratchov wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 08, 2015 at 08:11:57AM +0000, Zé Loff wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 08, 2015 at 01:57:05AM +0100, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > > Since I seem to be the only person using this feature (with the
> > > possible exception of ratchov@ himself), here's a periodic reminder
> > > that you can use sndio OVER THE NETWORK.
> >
> > mpd.conf on the server:
> >
> >     audio_output {
> >             type            "pipe"
> >                     name            "room"
> >                     command         "aucat -f snd@192.168.17.170,0/0 -i -"
> >     }
> >     audio_output {
> >             type            "pipe"
> >                     name            "x201"
> >                     command         "aucat -f snd@192.168.17.168,0/0 -i -"
> >     }
> >     audio_output_format "48000:16:2"
> >

> > rc.conf.local on the output boxes:
> >
> >     sndio_flags="-U 0 -L -"
> >

> > Bonus feature: turn both of them on and the slight lack of sync between
> > outputs turns into reverb which makes your house seem 10x larger (then
> > turn one of them off because they will keep drifting apart and it
> > becomes really annoying). Maybe different buffer sizes will fix this,
> > but I never bothered to check.
>
> We don't have the necessary code to synchronize two audio devices.
> Changing the buffer size wont fix the drifting

Thanks for the info. I reckon it would be quite an undertaking to sync
audio devices over (different) network connections -- especially on wifi,
as in my case --, I just wondered if changing the buffer size would make
a difference.

Anyhow that isn't really important (and if it were, I'd get wireless
speakers or something like that), I'm more than happy as it is. Thanks
for the great work, Alexandre.