Well, okay.  The assumption is OpenBSD might/might not have done this to
the hardware.  Okay, I am an SA, I am a Linux old-hand and an OpenBSD newb,
I like solving problems, let's take this on - frankly, the Linux guys will
most likely send him back here if he asks it on their lists.

Okay, first of all, the reason why I bought up the Broadcom Tigons - they
are temperamental as a family.  They are under-engineered and
over-featured, and I had a history with them dealing with the Dell hardware
in my gigs.  They are one of the first Gigabit NICs in the consumer market,
it's one of the first to power down for power saving (ask any Windows
helpdesk and they'll tell you it's a common issue with seemingly "dead"
NICs coming back after a power cycle, due to some weird ACPI
don't-wanna-get-out-of-bed issue.  It's a frustrating one for sales guys
and execs on the road), they are one of the first to implement auto MDI-X,
which does not always work the way it's expected.

The Tigons also require the 3rd party firmware so some Linux distros don't
work with them out of the box.  Even if it does it could be a hit-or-miss
based on the machine's BIOS, its power state, the specific Linux kernel
release, the firmware present, all sorts of factors.  Hell, I have even
seen a busted PoE switch zap the ESD fuses on the switchport (seen that
happen too).
Frankly, I am not surprised by this.

Okay, in order for us to help, we need you to provide us with a few
things.  For example - dmesg logs on the Linux distributions that you have
tried (so we can tell if it's started up/drivers loaded properly), lspci
logs (to see if there is a weird issue on the card itself), and poke around
with ethtool -T on the Linux side (to see if there is an issue layer-2
downwards).  I am more than willing to say that this is a Linux issue, but
just like back at work, it's much more satisfying to trace the issue back
in someone else's court and point that finger irrefutably back in the other
direction.