On Tue, May 05, 2015 at 06:59:41PM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2015-05-04, Zé Loff <zel...@zeloff.org> wrote:

> >> You have a cdce device. As sthen@ already kindly suggested, you should
> >> be able to just do "dhclient cdce0".
> >
> > Please understand that this is a bridge device, connected to a modem, as
> > the OP clearly stated. If there is nothing on the other end of the
> > bridge, what's the point of sending DHCP requests?
>
> I have a 3g device on my netbook. If I put it in the right mode I get
> a cdce. I then run dhclient and get an IP address from the mobile network.
> YMMV but in my case this works perfectly, no messing about with fake
> serial interfaces to run a PPP session with my device that then gets
> converted to 3g.

(I'll make this quick and then leave the thread, as at this point it is
mostly all noise and no signal as far as the OP's problem is concerned)

About a week ago Cristian said DHCP hadn't worked, nor setting a static
address, for that matter, so your mileage does indeed vary, hence my
reply.

No one said anything about PPP sessions over serial interfaces. In the
thread I linked to I only refer to ucom devices as in my case I need
them to issue two AT commands (1) to bring the radio up and (2) tell the
modem to establish the link by activating the appropriate PDP profile
(probably this is what you mean by "putting it in the right mode").
Indeed, after the 3G link is up all I have to do is run dhclient on
cdce0, but I need the serial interface to bring up the modem first.
Since Cristian said dhclient didn't work, I assume he needs to do the
same.

Cheers
Zé