Thankyou so much Rickie, Jason,Chris, Alex and JC for the replies :-)

On 12/21/05, J. C. Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 02:54:23 +0530, Siju George <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >I have a new Broadband Internet connection. It uses PPPoE with a
> >username and password to connect to internet.
>
> Hi Siju,
>
> You left out a few important details about the service package from your
> provider. PPPoE is cheap way for providers to prevent people from
> stealing service (i.e. hooking up their own DSL gear to an
> abandoned/unused line).

Sorry :-( I'll explain further.

> I've seen PPPoE used in service packages with a dynamic IP and service
> packages with a static IP (or a small block of static IP's).
>
> At times the service provider will be using DHCP to configure the
> external interface (often based in the DSL modem/router itself) and
> other times, they don't offer DHCP and you're expected to configure the
> interface yourself.

The service package I have requires me to logon first using a username
and password.
The IP address is provided by dhcp.
But since I have asked for a scheme that gives me a Static IP every
time dhcp provides me the same IP. I know the IP and Subnetmask and
Default gateway I should be getting ( they have told me) and I get it
all the time using PPPoE on Win2k3 with the username and password.

> Details of the exact kind of service package you have from your provider
> and occasionally info on the DSL hardware you're using are needed to
> figure out how things should be set up on your end.

Its a ADSL Router from HUAWEI
Model No. WA1003A
Has both option for LAN and wireless.
Internet connection comes by a telephone cable.

When the settings are in factory mode. I just need to use the

"Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password"

in Windows 2003 and it connects automatically. No need to supply any phone no.

Authentication and connection is by username and password only.

Is there anything more I should add about the Hardware?

Thankyou so much for being kind and helpful :-)

kind regards

Siju