On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 05:36:30AM +0200, Peter Hessler wrote:
> On 2015 Jul 15 (Wed) at 05:27:37 +0200 (+0200), L.R. D.S. wrote:
> > Not that "nice". This hardware have many fancy things like UEFI and
> > intel ME.
>
> > I run i386 mostly because the /amd64.html say that "it is thus safer
> > to run those machines in i386 mode"
>
> That is an incredibly ancient comment, and is eseentially no longer
> relevant.

Agreed.

The full paragraph is:

> OpenBSD/amd64 runs on AMD's Athlon-64 family of processors in 64-bit
> mode. It also runs on processors made by other manufacturers which have
> cloned the AMD64 extensions. (Some Intel processors lack support for
> important PAE NX bit, which means those machines will run without any
> W^X support -- it is thus safer to run those machines in i386 mode).

And your CPU supports PAE NX:

http://ark.intel.com/products/68316/Intel-Core-i5-3470-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

If I'm reading your dmesg correctly, it's listed there as well.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the days of i386
images being reasonable to run on amd64 hardware are coming to an end.
i386 support appears to be a fading priority for most projects and the
subset of amd64 features used is growing quickly.