From: Graham Stephens
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 2:31 PM
To: na...@mips.inka.de
Cc: misc@openbsd.org
Subject: Re: SPARC minimum hardware specification

On 21/07/2015 17:10, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2015-07-21, Graham Stephens <gra...@thestephensdomain.com> wrote:
>
>> These machines were not fast when new, but I will say that if you do try
>> one of these you *need* the proper memory for them (IIRC, registered).
>
> You need the proper memory for _any_ machine. And you misremember.
>
> spdmem0 at iic0 addr 0x50: 512MB SDRAM ECC PC133CL2
> spdmem1 at iic0 addr 0x51: 512MB SDRAM ECC PC133CL2
> spdmem2 at iic0 addr 0x52: 256MB SDRAM ECC PC133CL2
>
>> You can run them on cheaper (non registered) memory, but they run *MUCH*
>> slower than with the supplied memory.
>
> That doesn't make any sense.

Now that you've called me out, I had to do a bit of digging to remember
some of the facts...

I have the alternative memory in working machines at the moment, so I
can't take them apart to check the specs; it may be that the clock
timings are different, I don't recall.

I was right, however, about the memory being registered - I just had it
the wrong way round. The OEM memory is ECC unbuffered. By changing a
jumper on the motherboard it allows the use of ECC registered, which is
easier to come by and hence cheaper - at least it was when I was looking
last.
This may explain the difference in speeds.