On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 12:46 PM, Quartz <qua...@sneakertech.com> wrote:
> Some years ago I remember reading that when using OpenBSD (or any OS,
> really) as a router+firewall it was considered inadvisable from a security
> standpoint to have the different networks all attached to a single network
> card with multiple ethernet ports. The thinking being that it was
> theoretically possible for an attacker to exploit bugs in the card's chip to
> short circuit the path and route packets directly across the card in a way
> pf can't control. It was also suggested that in addition to using different
> physical cards, the cards should really use different chipsets too, in case
> an unknown driver bug allows a short circuit.
>
> I swear I read this somewhere on the website, but I can't seem to find it
> now and I'm wondering if the concept is even still valid. The impetus here
> is that I'm building a router+firewall for a cramped location and it's
> turning out rather difficult to find a case that's small enough to fit. I'd
> really like to use an itx system with multiple onboard ethernet jacks and
> cram it into something like a MiniBox M350 or Antec ISK110, but I'm not sure
> if that's a good idea, security wise. Any thoughts?

It is certainly possible theoretically but you'll have to go to very
great lengths to imagine a scenario where a remote attacker could
exploit such a flaw. It's next to impossible identify the make and
model of the NIC that holds an IP address (if it is even directly
bound to a NIC, CARP and other similar technologies get in the way if
used), the attacker would first have to aquire this information trough
other means.

-Kimmo