These days you have "bypass" features in hardware that allow packets
to flow from one interface to another even if the firewall is turned
off.

Can you elaborate on this?

Also, that brings up another point wrt motherboards with multiple jacks; are bios attacks something to worry about?

Having said that, just throwing random chipsets into the mix is
probably not the right solution. You may actually be increasing your
attack surface.

That's always a possibility yes.

If this is a real concern for you,

The thing is I don't really know if this should be a realistic concern, that's why I'm asking. A motherboard with multiple ports would certainly be more convenient, but it's not worth it if it would compromise security.