Interesting idea, and have to admit I didn't think of it. There is a
second HD ide hard drive slaved in the mail server, as well. I could
use the likes of DD or dump/restore onto the second drive (slave).
Last time I did that (dump/restore), I screwed up though, which is why
a second backup method is preferable. I was playing CCD with the likes
of that, for the separate /home partition. But for some reason it
didn't quite feel right (likely a setup problem), so I scratched the
CCD idea.

As for the cost of DVD+/-RW media, you'd be surprised at you can find.
We bought Verbatim DVD-RW media @ 1.49$ Canadian each. I had also
found a 5pack of some unknown brand (not R-DATA) being dumped at our
local Staples for under $9cdn which I purchased for home use.

I've got a squid-cache proxy server local to that subnet running
OpenBSD as well, and it has plenty of HD space left on the 80gig
Seagate SATA.

Muchly appriciated!