On 2015-09-22, Kurt Mosiejczuk <kurt-open...@se.rit.edu> wrote:
> I just updated my current box to yesterdays (2015-09-21) snapshot.  Now
> it won't keep a network address.

That's a recent bug - should be fixed if you update again.

> I'm seeing a note on the current FAQ from the 12th indicating the
> ifmedia options have been extended to 64 bits.  I'm seeing a change to
> ifconfig in the tree for this, but I don't see a corresponding change to
> dhclient in the tree (looking at cvsweb).
>
> Did the dhclient change get overlooked?  Am I doing something else
> obviously wrong?

This is unrelated, but dhclient just needed recompiling with the updated
headers ("include files") to know about the larger ifmedia struct, it
just uses it to check link status and didn't require any code changes.
On the other hand ifconfig does more processing with the media status,
e.g. passing the type to another function to look up the text description,
so the variable types need changing so that the larger values fit.

BTW this ifmedia change was because we were running out of space in
the structure for different media types (10base2, 10baseT, 100baseTX,
1000baseSX, 1000baseT etc for ethernet, various modulation types for
802.11 wireless, etc), the change allows space for more types for
future use (e.g. there's an IEEE working group, 802.3bz, looking at
standardizing 2.5/5Gb over cat5e, and other existing standards we don't
support yet).