On 2015-09-23, Adam <m8r-hqr...@mailinator.com> wrote:
>> I bought this card for my APU:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HMZ8B2/
>>
>> Has worked great in AP mode.  You will need the
>> bracket to make it full height.  When I bought
>> it, it was $15, too.
>>
>> If I remember correctly, it shipped from China or
>> Tiawan and the estimate was a month, but it
>> arrived in maybe 10 days. You might want
>> to try to find one more local, I wasn't able to.
>
> So the one you recommend from Amazon got some mediocre reviews and comes from
> Asia. But it works, good for you, that's a plus. It is also a Qualcomm
> Atheros, maybe not so dissimilar from the ones PC Engines sells on their site:
> http://www.pcengines.ch/wle200nx.htm and

This one should work ok with athn(4).

> http://www.pcengines.ch/wle600vx.htm

This is a QCA9882 from the 802.11ac range, on Linux this uses the
Ath10k driver. Not yet supported on OpenBSD.

> On Amazon there are better reviewed Broadcom and Intel modules, shipping from
> USA, sold/fulfilled by Amazon, etc.

No HostAP on those. Broadcom is unlikely to work at all (unless it's an
old b/g one with certain firmware versions).

> Or who knows, since then PC Engines may offer revised modules which work
> better.
>
> Anyone has any +/- experiences with any of the add-on boards which works (or
> doesn't work) with the APU boards? Praise or recommend against any particular
> build?
>
> The reason I am so onto this, is, there has been so many posts and threads
> has been here praising the PC Engines APU boards. I assume quite a few of you
> use it as a router, given its Ethernet ports. Then, why not add a wireless
> access point, too? That might be a popular request as well.

I like to put my APs in positions that will give good radio coverage,
and routers in places where it's easier to run multiple cables to.
YMMV, but for me these are rarely in the same place.