James A. Peltier [jpelt...@sfu.ca] wrote:
> Hi Misc,
>
> I'm looking to get some insight into those that have 10Gb single mode fibre
> adaptors in their OpenBSD machines and if they're being used in bridging
> mode?  I've got a user who is asking what the current state of 10Gb is on
> OpenBSD given all the MP work that's been done.  There will be 70 or so
> VLANs, some traffic shaping, and packet filter taking place on this device
> and so choosing the appropriate hardware is rather important.  Any input from
> heavy bridging/VLAN use is even more important.  Thanks.

I've tested the Xeon CPU E5-1630v3 (3.70GHz, 4 core), myricom myx,
intel ix and emulex oce cards, and the results under 5.8-current
are great. OpenBSD 5.8 is not bad either. Under 5.8-current, a
small routing table of 500 or so routes and option ART, plus PF
NAT enabled and 1.4Gbps/200kpps of load, vlans, the average load
is 11%, which transates to load of 30-40% on two cores and almost
none on two (or sometimes evenly loads across three cores, out of
nowhere). The network stack is undergoing big changes so this keeps
improving.

The oce card/driver gives me .06ms round-trip ping times across a
cisco 5020 whereas ix and myx are currently at .2ms-.3ms rtt on
the same switch. I'm not sure why, but it's fascinating.

Chris