----- Original Message -----
| James A. Peltier [jpelt...@sfu.ca] wrote:
| > Hi Misc,
| >
| > I'm looking to get some insight into those that have 10Gb single mode fibre
| > adaptors in their OpenBSD machines and if they're being used in bridging
| > mode?  I've got a user who is asking what the current state of 10Gb is on
| > OpenBSD given all the MP work that's been done.  There will be 70 or so
| > VLANs, some traffic shaping, and packet filter taking place on this device
| > and so choosing the appropriate hardware is rather important.  Any input
| > from heavy bridging/VLAN use is even more important.  Thanks.
| >

| I've tested the Xeon CPU E5-1630v3 (3.70GHz, 4 core), myricom myx,
| intel ix and emulex oce cards, and the results under 5.8-current
| are great. OpenBSD 5.8 is not bad either. Under 5.8-current, a
| small routing table of 500 or so routes and option ART, plus PF
| NAT enabled and 1.4Gbps/200kpps of load, vlans, the average load
| is 11%, which transates to load of 30-40% on two cores and almost
| none on two (or sometimes evenly loads across three cores, out of
| nowhere). The network stack is undergoing big changes so this keeps
| improving.
|
| The oce card/driver gives me .06ms round-trip ping times across a
| cisco 5020 whereas ix and myx are currently at .2ms-.3ms rtt on
| the same switch. I'm not sure why, but it's fascinating.
|
| Chris

I'm looking at the Dell R220 which lists the Emulex OneConnect OCe14102-UX-D
2-port PCIe 10GbE CNA or Intel X520 DP 10Gb DA/SFP+ Server Adapter.  The OCE
driver doesn't list the 14102 as a listed device that is supported, but ix does
list the X520-DA2.  Is it safe to assume that the DA and DA-2 are the same or
similar chipsets and will work?  I'd likely be running 5.8-CURRENT on this box.

--
James A. Peltier
IT Services - Research Computing Group