On 11/07/15 19:56, Jonathan Thornburg wrote:
> (or
> sd1[dfh] if I enter 'boot sr1d:/bsd' at the "boot>" prompt, assuming there's
                               ^
> an OpenBSD installation on those partitions).

> Questions
> ---------
> I guess my basic question is, what's wrong here and what's the cleanest
> way to achieve my desired ends (assuming they're achievable)?

What's wrong is you are violating the basic rule of "boot from 'a', root
is 'a'".

Anything you do to work around it today may break in the future, I don't
think there has been any real interest with developers in supporting
multiple OpenBSD systems on one physical (or logical) disk.

Going backwards to ignore a problem isn't the OpenBSD Way.

If your goal is to wind-back a bad upgrade, you have your backups
(RIGHT??) of all your config files and data files...just reinstall the
old version that worked and all associated packages (list is at
/var/db/pkg on your backup).

Nick.