> On Sun, 8 Nov 2015 21:22:04 -0800
> Nathan Wheeler <nate.whee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I ran into this exact same issue when I was trying to create a
> > rollback install with CRYPTO for a sort of appliance I develop/manage
> > for my company. We only have remote access with console and remote
> > hands aren't easy to get so when upgrading it'd be nice to have a
> > rollback in case something happens.
> >
> > You can definitely boot a kernel off a different partition, but the
> > kernel still assumes the root disk is 'a'. You have to tell the kernel
> > to ask you for the root partition with "boot -a". Or you can compile
> > your own kernel with the root disk hardcoded as it mentions in this
> > post: http://www.undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20110530221728
>
> Isn't a story of the kernel configuration file?
> It doesn't seem 'a' is hard coded (cannot change) since actually -a
> can override that value.

People should be careful what they ask for:

- The entropy file
- /etc/boot.conf

I think this is a clear case of (1) don't waste timet explaining why
it is the way it is, (2) no warranty, (3) people who wish to hurt
themselves can go into the kitchen, (4) people who run into problems
are asked to not submit bug reports from their frankenstein machines.