I don't need a special need case. I have already configured the system
I need, but it would have been nice to know about these configuration
options earlier. It was only because of Linux that I became aware of
some of the stuff like what vlc is and I fooled around with Web pages
and virtual HDs enough, along with a couple few thousand line c
programs one to recursively glob search through directory listing and
return them in stdout (which some similar program undoubtedly exists)
and one to search through file contents and return a roundrobin array
snippet of file contents showing the context in which the search value
is used. (FYI, I have a C program from my artificial intelligence
class that beats gomoku even if the gomoku goes first. And my program
only uses a 10x10 board. It beats it before it goes outside of those
constraints.) Anyway, my point is that OpenBSD doesn't need to be a
research OS as Theo has stated. It could have some minor tweaks to the
install that undoubtedly could persuade users to continue. But maybe
that is the mindset of the OpenBSD hacker. Make it hard and difficult
for everybody that doesn't want to spend their life away searching for
commands they don't know about. If my Asus laptop, which I figured out
at the time needed to disable a configuration option, would have
accepted feeebsd, I suspect I would have gone with them. Not because
they had more up to date software systems like kde, but because their
system doesn't put up a fight against the user and doesn't
self-destruct any time it needs to fsck: By Default.

--
-Luke