I am realistically thinking more along the lines of less than once a
release cycle. More like whenever it comes upon a user that their mirror of
choice chooses to no longer be a mirror. I had that happen to me. It would
be convenient to have a program that can easily compare mirror latencies
and download speeds. I was hoping that maybe pkg_add could be modified to
have a timeout and accept input from the program I am making if that
occurs, or there is no mirror setup for the machine. If it is implemented,
more generous bandwidth and lesser burdened mirrors would have more
equitably distributed traffic.

> What you meant was thousands of users sending handful of pings across the
world to a lot of the mirrors each time they (re)restart pkg_add?